Monday, October 11, 2010

Quick Update!!

I'm sorry I have been half-heartedly blogging lately, but time is going by so quickly now. The choir wasn't for me, I don't think, but it was fun to sing, anyways!

At school I am able to understand a little more than half of what the teachers say, except my French teacher (Still can't understand him...), and I am actively taking part in the quizzes and homework, although they are very difficult. :P

But although I have been getting into a daily rhythm, the beauty all around me never ceases to amaze me. It's like each time I ride the bus or walk around the village is the first time I am experiencing it. I have to take more photos! Ok, I promise I will take photos tomorrow (if the weather treats us right; it is Normandy after all...). And maybe I will get my act together and upload all of my stuff to flickr...

Anyhow, changing the topic, apart from school and the language, life is going well! One thing I have noticed is how much more I have been writing lately. Before I came to france I had journals off and on for about five years, but they generally only lasted for a month at a time. Now I am journaling religiously everyday, and I think it will be good to look back at in the future.

And as a last little note, I just want to mention this; I think I am actually starting to feel a little bit proud of myself (le gasp!). I mean, a month ago I was a mental wreck, although I tried not to let it show. And now, I am able to stop, smell the fresh air, and enjoy life. And it's already been a month and a half?! How did that happen? Well, I'll be going now, but right after I ask this one question:

What do you consider "home?" Being here has really made me think about that a lot more. If you feel like answering the rhetorical question, feel free to leave a comment (oh, jeez, now I feel like I am an avid youtuber vying for comments on my videos DX). I think it would be interesting to see what everyone else thinks. :D

Salut!
Carly

8 comments:

  1. Home?
    I guess the place that I feel that I can be most myself. The funny thing is that I feel most myself when I don't know the people around me. I feel as if I am betraying my LG family/house when I say that, but it's true.

    Maybe my home is where the ones I love are, maybe it's an isolated place in Zimbabwe, maybe it's right under the Eiffel Tower. Only time can tell.

    (But I REALLY hope it's the Eiffel Tower =))

    -Gabby

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was an awesome answer!

    I think you would be surprised how much your thoughts might change about the first part you wrote after some time goes by... I guess I always thought I wanted to get out of LG and stuff like that, too, like all teenagers in the town :), but being in a place where you don't even have the reassurance of being able to hug and/or see your parents at the end of a hard day or chat with your best friend in a language you understand has made me realize never to lose sight of how great it feels to have the support of friends, family and neighbors in my daily life. :D

    But I'm still working on my definition. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. You have a great point. I guess that some of that wanting-to-get-out-but-not-knowing-where-to-go teenager persona actually lives in me. Never would have guessed that. Sometimes I want to be surrounded by people I love; sometimes I want to be surrounded by complete strangers who give me the possibility to "start over". If I can find a place with a perfect balance of those people, THAT is my home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, you are so much older than your age is wisdom.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to say that I am feeling every single thing that you wrote about. Minus choir because I didn't try it. haha but with the school, language, beauty around us, being proud of ourselves and writing! I seriously love to journal and I never EVER stuck with it at home. I also wonder the same thing about home. Every single day I wonder "is this house more than a home to me?" I don't think it is yet, but getting there. I also agree with your response about wanting to get away from home and we did it, but it is completely different now. I was so ready to just leave and even now my friends at home can't wait to get away from our high school and graduate, but I simply miss it a lot! And I sometimes get the feeling that I just want to be in a place where I can communicate with anyone around me.
    Anyway, I think that home is being comfortable with yourself in a place. I am not quite comfortable here because I am still searching for understanding. But only time will tell. Anyway, I hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay!!! jess that was awesome! I can't wait to see you!!

    ReplyDelete