Saturday, September 18, 2010

School!!!!!!!!

It's been a while since my last post, but I have a good excuse! I have started school! And it takes up a lot of time... Monday thru thursday generally from about 8:30 to 5:00 each day. Except Wednesdays. We get out at 12:30! :] Some people have school on Saturday mornings, but j'ai de la chance. ;)
The school system is a lot different in France, so I'm going to give you a crash course:

L'école primaire is our elementary school. It's from 6 to 11 years.

Next, we have collège. Which isn't college, but middle school. Yay. It's four years, unlike our middle school, and is split up into 6th grade, 5th grade, 4th grade, and 3rd grade, in that order. You finish collège in the equivalent of ninth grade.

Then there is lycée, which is like high school. Except for it is only three years and they are called seconde (sophomore year), première (junior year), and terminale (senior year).

Also, at the end of lycée, one has to pass a giant test called the baccalauréat to get into université.

So yeah, that's about it.

So last Saturday, Claude, Manon, and I went to the lycée to ask them if they had gotten all my papers sorted out yet. And they had!! But to my surprise... I was going to be a sophomore again... :[ Eh, whatever, the classes would be easier and I wouldn't have a giant test at the end of the year.

Well, then on Sunday I enjoyed my last day of freedom by going to Paris with Claude and Manon. It was epic! We strolled down the Champs Elysées and went in a couple of stores (including a giant overly-priced roxy store). I enjoyed it thoroughly. And then I came back, had dinner, and slept.

Ok, onto the first week of school. I guess if I had to sum it all up in one word, I would use overwhelming. The worst day was Tuesday, because I had classes from 8:30 to 6:00 pm :O. And the best day was Yesterday, friday, because I got a new English teacher who is awesome, and I got out at three o'clock, which is quite uncommon... But altogether, it was very hard and I understand very little. I don't think it would be easy for me to tell you my schedule, because it is really confusing and different from the schedule I had in the United States last year, but I will list all of my classes. Here you go:

1. The first class I went to was History, with a very very nice teacher called Madame Thepin. She was very helpful. :)
2. Then I had SES, which is pretty much an economics course, and it was OK. At least I understood some of it...
3. I had a very short day Monday, with a lot of waiting, but the next day I started right off the bat with my hardest class, Français.... dun dun dun. The teacher, well, I won't go into the details.
4. Then I had Math with a nice teacher, and it was actually kind of easy, cause I have already done what they were learning.
5. Then I had my first class of English... well, I hated it. But the next time I had English, my teacher changed! Whoopee!!!!! Now I have a teacher that is British, and quite funny. She makes the class interesting and kind of reminds me of Mrs. Lewycky or something... the type of teacher you can be friends with :)
6. Then I had Espagnolllll. Interesting, indeed. We'll see if I end up learning any spanish or just being confused. But I like the teacher. Yes, she is a little quirky and reminds me of Maya Angelou, but she seems to be very passionate about Spanish...
7.Then I had science, that was good, and I am starting to like the teacher more because she tries to help me learn French.
8. Next I had MPS, which is basically real world applications of science. Who knows, it might actually make me enjoy science.
9. So that completed my Tuesday, and Wednesday was made up completely of repeats. But Thursday, I got a new class. ECJS. I seriously have no idea what this class is about, cause it was held entirely in the library and we just filled up a sheet about library rules and stuff... Also, I have no idea what ECJS stands for. But the teacher is Thepin!! yay!
10. My final class is sciences vie terre. Something about earth science. It's ok. At least she uses powerpoints to lecture, so I can actually comprehend what's going on!

Wow, that was kinda long... But that was my week. I made some friends and it was a good experience, but I hope this week I will understand more next week!

One thing I did find was very interesting about French school is that you get assigned a "class," and that's the group of people you will have classes with for the entire year. So pretty much, you go to all of your classes with those people, and you don't have to ever be alone if you don't want to, if that makes any sense....? It's different from school in the States because I barely ever have classes with my friends there, and here, it's the opposite. Ok, sorry, that was horribly stated.

And I guess that's it for now. This weekend we're going to Versailles and I think that's it. Cool. Bye!!!

6 comments:

  1. WOW! That sounds fuuuuunnnnnn!!!! It also sounds very hard. Good luck! Mme Thempin sounds nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carly - your blog posts are so entertaining and informative! Thank you for giving us this glimpse into your vie en France. Nous t'aimons, ma cherie! Hugs to the Marrons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, hard is the key word right now :P But it will get better.
    Love you mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you have so many classes, it should be quite an experience learning Spanish in French when your first language is English, but I'm sure you'll manage just fine! No worries! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK - I'm giving you some shout-outs from the relatives: Nana and Mac are loving reading your blog. Keep the posts coming. And Ninnie really enjoys it as well. Also, Aunt Judi says hello, and that she loves reading it.

    ReplyDelete