Thursday, September 23, 2010

More Random Cultural Differences that Haven't Made it into Blog Posts!

Well, I have realized that there are so many things that are different between living here and living back in the states that I have kind of expected that it is obvious to everyone. So here are some cultural differences that I have noticed and not really mentioned:
-Meals last a lot longer here. About Forty five minutes to an hour for lunch and dinner, and there is more of a variety of things to eat :)
-School is completely and totally flipped-upside-down-opposite of school in the U.S. The schedule, timing, classes, and also the fact that I have at least an hour and a half for lunch each day, and the cafeteria food is like a feast. Also, they don't have substitute teachers. If a teacher isn't there, you don't go to school. And they have lots of strikes. There is one today!
-People seem to be less pressed for time here. I don't know if it is because they work less or what, but time passes kind of slowly, and it is relaxing for the most part.
-Fashion is a huge thing for teenagers. Everybody dresses well for school, and sometimes the fashion leads to tons of people having the same coats, shoes, or bags. It's good and bad. Sometimes I miss the carefree-ness of what you where in the U.S., but it is fun to go shopping with people who are passionate about it... :D
-The cars are all tinier, and bounce around a little bit on the road.
-This isn't really a cultural difference, but the other day, the road was blocked when I was being driven to school, and we had to take a thirty minute tour around the countryside to get into Vernon (The town I go to school in). It was immensely beautiful and I want to go back to take some pictures.
-Vernon's roads are very tight, and the shops are all packed together. The buildings are very old, and there are plenty of churches. It's the kind of place that has a truly different feel from the U.S.

And that is all I can think of for now!!!

-Carly
(It's really hard for me to pronounce my name in French)

3 comments:

  1. You need a good french name. We'll work on that. XOXOX, as always, ma petite cherie. Je t'aime beaucoup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is when a bunch of people boycott something. So in this instance a bunch of teachers at the school didnt come to class to protest. :)

    ReplyDelete