Monday, August 30, 2010

That's All, Folks

For now... at least.

My last day in the country until July 10, 2011 is tomorrow! I leave Tuesday on a red-eye to NY because we "West-Coast kids" have no other way of getting to NY by 1:00 PM on the 1st with a three hour time change. From this, a problem has arisen. I get into JFK at 7:00 AM. AFS volunteers arrive at noon. Uh-oh. I guess we'll wait and see how that goes.

On another note, I am finished packing except for a photo album or two that will go in my carry-on. My suitcase is 41.6 pounds out of a 44 pound limit..... living on the edge. :O I have lots of host family gifts because I think I will have a welcome family... but boy, is it hard to buy gifts for a bunch of unidentified people. If I end up with a single parent, they will be showered with Californian/American gifties.

Another random thought:
Everybody went back to school today. It doesn't feel like my summer's ending, though. I'm ready for adventure! But isn't it weird to think that whereas there are plenty of other people in my situation right now, waiting to go on to the next chapter of their lives, whether it be college or studying abroad or starting a job, some people are just starting to grow up? There is an elementary school right near my house, and right now there are tons of cars driving back and forth picking up their kids. Some of those parents might have just picked up their children from their very first day at school. It's weird how fast time moves. I remember kindergarten. Anyhow--

I found the list of things I will miss. So here it is!!!
The Los Gatos city limit sign posted on a small side street off of a large one.
The paint near Fisher Middle School with all of our names in it. After three years, it's still there!
The ability to take the wrong bus and still end up walking distance of my house.
The front lawn of my High School, LGHS
Pink Flamingoes!
Those moments in fall when I get out of school and walk down to my bike while watching the field hockey scrimmages and football practices, feeling like the quintessential American teenager at the quintessential American high school-- in a good way.
The English language
English class
Getting to talk with our neighbor's exchange student...
Taking night walks and only being scared of whether a zombie will come jumping out of the nearest bush.
The "Almost Summer" sign that is up next to the health/driver's ed classroom. It never goes down.
The dude I just saw wearing a USA colored fanny pack.
Walking to downtown Los Gatos so easily with friends.
Powell's Sweet Shoppe
Babysitting!
Velociraptor jam sessions.
Being so close to my family, neighbors, and friends.
How the three aforementioned groups have become the same group throughout the past 12 years of having lived here.

Now all I have to do is say goodbyes. This is the hard part for me. Getting mushy and gushy. Darn.

So long, USA. Hello, France!

Sincerely,
Carly

5 comments:

  1. Hi Carly,

    Thinking of you a lot and definitely will be even more in the next couple of days. I'm always saying how much I admire the foreign exchange students I place for the school year for having the guts to leave it all for a year of adventure. I'm so happy to have a new American friend that I admire just as much for the exact same reason! Hope you get a chance to try Amorino gelato :) Safe travels Carly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carly,
    you are off on the adventure of a lifetime. Your dad and I both had experiences overseas, and it really is a wonderful experience. You will learn that our culture is but one of many! We are all so proud of you! I have you bookmarked at work and home so I can check on you often. Safe travels and HAVE A BLAST!
    Aunt Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!!
    Karen, I had my first french ice cream on wednesday! It was different, but delicious all the same...
    Mimi, thank you!I am having a blast, but its difficult too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey we miss u too btw this is olive. and i shall stalk ur blog .. what?

    ReplyDelete